07 febrero 2007

Flamingo Goes Vego

Whenever I start a new job I'm always terrified that I won't be able to do the job. My trial today at the vegetarian restaurant was easier than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a loud, rude, messy kitchen which I would undoubtedly fail miserably at performing well. I was expecting the worse, in other words. I tried my best to hide in the back and busy myself with food prep duties, but eventually the chef asked me to go out to the front kitchen and help out in the larder section. I dragged my feet all the way there, but once I got the hang of things I really enjoyed it and actually impressed myself. I did make some mistakes, but no yelling was directed in my direction.

At the end of my trial I was told that I would be paid for my work (paid trials exist in Australia???) and was invited to come back to spend another dinner service with the chef in addition to more days next week. It sounds like I've got the job but, based on prior experiences, I haven't got the job until they've said specifically that I've got the job. If the vacancy at the restaurant would have opened up just a week earlier it would have made my life easier!

The dishwasher and I chatted quite often as he's Mexican and mentioned he hardly ever gets to speak Spanish and neither do I. He had a lot of good information about the work environment and how things work there. According to him, if you are invited in for a trial and are asked to come back then you've got the job.

So if that's true...then I've just landed my dream job.

No hay comentarios.: