31 marzo 2007

An Addictoion of Sorts

My current read is a brilliant book by the name of Great Australian Chefs by Mietta O'Donnell and Tony Knox. Perhaps it's a bit lame, but I figure I'm going to become a chef in this country I might as well figure out how the great chefs came to be. I originally hired the book from the library because I recognised some of the names from participating in the Master Class at the Langham Hotel last week. The book features a biography of sorts, a bit out how they got to where they are at the moment and a few of their feature recipes. The recipes are just fascinating; they're a peak into the mysterious world of fine dinning. The authors have a bias towards Victoria, Melbourne specifically, so there are many Victorian chefs featured in the book -- many of whom I caught a sneak peak at the Langham Hotel but was too embarrassed to actually go up and speak to them. Sometimes my North American accent embarrasses me...stupid, I know.

On the days when I have class, if I have enough time, I sneak off to Cuisine World on Elizabeth Street to see what new gadgets I can add to tiny kitchen. It's becoming a bit of an addiction, really! I might as well know the shop workers by name and vice versa. Every time I complete a new unit, a strange contraption that my eyes had previously settled on without any particular message being produced in my brain instantaneously takes on a whole new meaning. And almost as instantly, a little voice inside me says, "I NEED that!". Valley Girl and Sports Girl used to be my favourite shop at Melbourne Central, but now that clothes shopping is out of the question, General Traders and House have become my favourite places in the world -- where else can you buy something useful for yourself for under $6? A silicon whisk? An icing sugar shaker? A ravioli press? I needed it all.

I have three days off this week where I have nothing school-related to do. My mission for tomorrow is to go check out Macro Wholefoods in Richmond and make home-made pasta. Tune in next time, same place, same time for for juicy loops on cookery and modern-day addictions.

No hay comentarios.: